Popular Post

Posted by : Unknown Wednesday 10 September 2014




I was in primary school. Maybe primary three or so. My parents were arguing really loudly, which wasn’t out of the ordinary. They argued a lot, it was the way their marriage was. My mom was having her breakfast. We had had ours, and was waiting for her to be done so she could take us to school. Then she screamed. It was a terrible sound. Things happened very quickly afterwards. I think we the children were screaming too. I can vaguely recall neighbours running into our house. I know my dad left, either before the neighbours came in or thereafter I can’t say for sure now, but I know he hadn’t gone with them to the hospital. When mom cried that he had reached out to strike her and in her attempt to block the blow, her chair had skidded and she fell fracturing her ankle, neither dad nor us could collaborate or refute that account. You see, dad had locked us out of the sitting room when he stormed in to shout at her. At any rate, between the time mom went to the emergency room and when she returned home, that story changed. It became the same old, ‘I slipped’. I didn’t get the memo on time. While mom was at the hospital, some other neighbour had asked me why I wasn’t in school. I answered that my father had beat my mother, so she couldn’t take me. That neighbour had said nothing. No comfort words. She just quickly terminated her inquiry and was gone quicker than you could bat an eye.

That’s the only incident of domestic abuse I recall in our home, although years later mom insisted there were several others. I didn’t see it. I’d always thought, as bad as daddy was, at least he didn’t hit her except for that one time. I did recognise the other types of abuses. The way he didn’t want her working. The way he accused her of sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry. The way he wanted to handpick her friends and rejected almost every one she made for herself. The way he accused her of competitiveness – I remember when she registered for her masters programme and he went on and on about how she did it because he had a masters degree. The way he stopped eating the food she cooked whenever they had an disagreement. There was so many other things. So many things that made the younger me think, “if this is what marriage is, I’d happily stay single.” Dad believed nobody would want to marry me, at any rate. He said I was too opinionated. Too stubborn. I didn’t know how to give in to authority (i.e. men). He saw the interest I had in sex and in boys, and he told me I would be an ashawo just like my mother – that I would be thrown out of my marriage soon enough, should I hoodwink some poor sod into marrying me that is. I cannot say for certain how physically abusive he was to my mother, but he was emotionally so – and he was emotionally abusive to me.

But I love him. He is my father. I could even say my mother loves him too, although the predominate emotion she feels at present is intense hate. She has remarried, but I swear she’s impatiently waiting for God to punish him for all the wrong he did her. But she did stay married to him for over 30 years. She said she stayed because of us the children. My younger self used to think it was bullshit. Leave oh jare, I would say to her. Why put up with this?

To be honest, I’m happy she didn’t. We barely ate with her around as it was. Waiting for the little money she made from selling any merchandise she would get her hands on while the Imo State Government owed her several months salary. And all that while, we supposedly had a rich father. A father who lived more in Europe than he did in Nigeria. He drove around in his many high-end cars, while we only had my mom to pick up or drop us off at school in the tokunbo car her brothers bought for her because my father didn’t care if she trekked to work or not. Or when the car was on its frequent spa treatment at the mechanics, or daddy had locked the gate and wouldn’t let her drive out, then we walked. A father who charters nearly everything he ate when he is in Nigeria from each overseas trip. He would keep them all locked up in his bedroom, till they went bad and he would have us eat them rather than throw them away. Mom would buy the meat with her own money and she couldn’t even eat it, because she only had enough for him. The only way we ate meat was if daddy was kind enough to leave bits of it in his plate, which we eagerly waited for him to call us to take away when he was done eating.

If mom had gone, we would have starved to death. He might have withdrawn us from the private school we went. The school it was always such a war to get him to keep paying for, about one fight mom was willing to take him on no matter what bad it got for her. Without mom breathing down his neck, what would have compelled him to continue? He certainly would have cut us off from our mother. I mean even as grown up as we are now, he still wants us to have nothing with do with her. He says, how could we continue to relate with her when he’s shown us how bad she is (he certainly cannot understand why today it’s him we avoid but not her. Oh, my mother is a piece of work, but at least we know she truly cares for us). Imagine if we were kids and totally dependent on him. Of course, he would have remarried. He did, in fact. He has had two wives since my mom. I probably would have had to marry really early like my elder sister, just to get away from the toxic home environment.

Would I have stayed if I was my mother? If I had six children – six living, one dead one and at least three miscarriages – like she did I don’t doubt I would. If I had no money, and couldn’t raise all six children by myself, I could. If there is no functional alimony system, and my spouse can’t be forced to pay child support, I wouldn’t even think twice about it. If I would have to face the indignity of living in a society that shames me for having the courage to leave and deem my daughters defective and ‘unmarriageble’ because ‘their mother couldn’t stay in marriage’, I would most definitely consider staying. Hence, I try not to shame women who stay with abusive husbands. Perhaps for them, it genuinely is a seasonal thing. This isn’t how their spouse is on a normal day. It’s just that it’s January and he doesn’t have money again after all the Christmas spending. Or, he only gets like this when he drinks. Or he has been putting in so much at work but not getting the recognition he deserves, that’s why he is lashing out at the only person he can. He is really a very loving husband and father, otherwise. I could understand all those. After all, I do firmly believe my siblings and I are better for it because my mom stayed. But maybe I can say so because my dad didn’t kill mom the way his cousin killed his wife. Because by the time he finally threw her out and locked all her things in, we were a little older. We could stand up for her, albeit with consequences – I spent a day in a police cell, my little brothers were beaten up by professionals, and for two years he wouldn’t have anything to do with youngest ones who my mother muscled out from him.

But I couldn’t live that life. Not the person I became as a result of being my mother’s daughter, of seeing the way she had to live. A person who associates pregnancy with control. A way men keep women tied down, subdued, imprisoned. I wouldn’t stay for anything in the world. It is one of the reasons I only have one child. So I can put him in my pocket and be gone.


P.S: I would greatly appreciate if nobody preached to me about forgiving my father. I have no animosity towards him. I'm just documenting the events as they took place in my life. 


Ciao

{ 2 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Oh my darling. Your story reads almost like my life story. Tweaks here and there but my reality. Same as you, I'm grateful for the experience cos the woman I am today is a wise and confident one. Maybe if I was raised a princess I might have spent my life with toads. Lol. Anyway, that's that. And yes, I love you! I shared with a friend who needed to read this. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story made me very sad. I'm sorry oh, but your father was a monster. Thank God that you still have some self esteem left after living in that kind of environment. However, I imagine myself as your husband reading your last comment: "It is one of the reasons I only have one child. So I can put him in my pocket and be gone." And it gives me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Ugo, from your story, your scars have not completely healed and my heart really goes out to you. For someone who's story will make yours look like the introduction to the book, take it from me, until you completely let go, love will be difficult to enjoy. There will always be that part of you that anticipates and prepares for disappointment. As pragmatic as that is, what kind of life is that?

    ReplyDelete

definitely go for it!

- Copyright © Knotty Pants - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -